Epoxies are high-strength plastics with properties that meet or exceed those of concrete. Epoxy injection provides a permanent structural repair to cracked or fractured concrete; cracks just visible to the eye can be injected. The added benefit is that it waterproofs structures, prevents water infiltration and re-bars corrosion and spall formation. As a result, this process essentially preserves concrete and prevents continual damage.
- The structural improvement such as strength and ductility of concrete cube with a series of experiment.
- The main aim of this study is to identify the characteristics strength of cube by epoxy injection and different grouting materials.
- And restore the structural integrity and resistance to the concrete element
Properties of epoxy resin:
- Epoxy equivalent.
- Oxyhdrogen equivalent.
- Average molecular weight and its distribution.
- Softening point.
- Temperature of heat deformation after erosslinkage
- Review of literature
- Preliminary test on cement, fine and coarse aggregates.
- Concrete mix design
- Casting of concrete specimen. (cube, cylinder, and prism)
- Test on harden concrete
- Comparison of results with controlled specimens
- Epoxy materials achieved the objective of increasing strength with a negligible change of global mass.
- External confinement of concrete specimen with Epoxy resulted in an increase in the strength and ductility.
- Epoxy strengthening of concrete cubes improves the strength than that of the conventional concrete cubes. So it can be used as an alternative strengthening method
- The provision of injection resulted in a substantial reduction in the measurement of cracked concrete specimens.
- Epoxy Resin is the best material to give more strength compared to other injecting materials.
- Epoxy adhesives are the most common adhesives used for repair crack by Injection Technique.
- It was proven to be a very successful one.
- Thus, the use of Epoxy is increase compressive strength across a crack, if further cracking is not anticipated.
Reference: International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology (IJMET) Volume 8, Issue 12, December 2017, pp. 227–234